Property Seller's Guide
...tips and advice on selling properties in the Canary Islands!
In this section you'll find tips on selling property. Having a house or a property for sale is quite common, but getting the best offer in a home sale, knowing your house value, choosing among real estate companies and other tips for selling property are not so commonly found online.
Here at Canary Property 24 we are going to make sure people will find your property and we are trying to help you to understand how to get a good offer on your home, a correct property valuation and other aspects involved in selling your real estate.
Selling a property
...which is the best way to sell your property?
In order to favour the sale of your property you can take the following measures:
- The first impression of a buyer when they visit the property is decisive.
- Invest a little in decoration for a better look and a faster sale. With small attentions to details in walls, carpentry, etc. you may even be able to obtain a better price.
- Let as much light as possible come into the property. Open the curtains and ventilate the house before a visit.
- Small details make the difference and mean a lot. Look over, hide and repair all the apparent existing smaller defects in handles, windows, hinges, doors and drawers.
- Emphasise the capacity of storage of the property: order and clear the fitted wardrobes, the storage rooms, cellar, attic, etc.
- Show the most spacious property possible, clear out the furniture, ornaments and articles that can distort the existing space.
- The bath and kitchen are key elements: keep them clean and shiny.
- Avoid crowding the property during the visit; it can make potential buyers uncomfortable.
- Turn down the volume or switch off the radio and television set.
- If you have a pet, try to make sure that it is not in the property at the moment of the visit it may scare visitors.
- Be courteous and friendly, but do not try to force a conversation with the clients.
- This is a sale of a property, not of furniture. Do not try to sell to the clients any furniture that you do not want to take with you.
Value of a property
...how can I find out the exact value of my property?
The value of your property is determined by what a potential buyer is prepared to pay for it. To determine its value is not an exact science. Your property is compared with previous sales and data bases of similar buildings, adjustments in differences of qualities and characteristics, and the result is an estimated value.
The criteria to determine the value of your property are mainly:
- The condition of your property (to reform, renovated, ready to be lived in...).
- Prices of comparable houses on sale.
- Conditions of the local market and prices and the reasons why the property is being put up for sale.
Make sure that your property is in the best possible condition, as much from the point of view of the building, as from its preparation and internal appearance.
Price must be:
- Sufficiently realistic to encourage the buyer to formalise an intention of purchase.
- Fixing a very high price can delay the sale. It is recommendable to make an evaluation, in which an estimated price is calculated through a detailed study of comparable completed sales.
- Put yourself in the place of a potential buyer and you will almost certainly compare the property with others of similar characteristics and confirm that your asking price really is competitive.
Price of your property
...what should I consider at the time of fixing the price of my property?
If you are thinking of selling your property there are two important factors to consider: how much are you ready to accept for your house and how long are you prepared to wait to sell it. The price of your property will influence decisively in the speed of the sale. Therefore, it is important to fix a price on your property that is based on its real market value.
If you have a real estate Adviser he must comment all the counteroffers to you, without considering the amount, unless you have fixed a minimum price below which cannot be negotiated. Treat all counteroffers seriously and do not be offended by low counteroffers. You will always be, as the proprietor, the one that has the last word as far as accepting or rejecting any counteroffers.
When a potential buyer makes a counteroffer it is possible that some condition is included; for example: they will buy your property when they sell theirs, a transaction with postponed price, etc. If you receive several counteroffers, do not limit yourself to consider only the price, but also take into consideration the proposed conditions to arrive at the most advantageous offer.
Advertising your property
...do I need a Real Estate Agency to sell my property?
Just follow the Guidelines of Canary Property 24 and you can sell or rent your property by yourself.
We are offering to our advertisers (Sale, Rent, Holiday Rental) the following:
- You can upload your properties with photos, adding it on a Google map, and adding various descriptions in three languages.
- You can continuously adapt, refresh, deactivate or delete your property.
- We offer an internal mailing system on which you will be contacted by registred users.
- As soon as a registred user contacts you we send you an email alert to your email account.
- You can search properties, safe favorites and safe searches and receive email alerts of the same as soon as somebody updates or uploads a property of your safed caracteristics.
- You can send properties to your friends.
- You can adapt or delete your profile at any time.
- You can delete your account at any time.
- You will advertise for FREE during the first 6 months without any obligations.
- Canary Property 24 will never enter in competition with your you or your company and will never sell or rent any of your properties. Here at Canary Property 24 we are advertising properties and are not selling or renting them personally.
If you chose to sell your property with a Real Estate Agent, we advice you to do it with a well trusted Real Estate Agency though to prevent any inconveniences.
- The first condition that must be fulfilled by the Real Estate Agent candidate is that he/she is an expert of the area in which you are trying to sell a property:
- A competent Agent should know the market inside out and the sale price of a property like yours.
- Another key to look out for so that an expert agent can give you a good service is based on his/her abilities of communication. A good communication must exist in both directions. You must be sincere with the agent in relation to your necessities of the sale of your property: If the sale is urgent, or you want to extend the period of sale, or arranged to accept a counteroffer, etc. All this information is very useful when fixing the price or conditions of the sale to your real necessities.
- Another key to consider at the time of choosing a Real Estate Agent is their integrity. You should not only choose an Agent based on the price that he/she says they are able to obtain for your property, but in their ability to demonstrate this affirmation and their ability in the effective management of your property.